I have become a huge fan of audiobooks. For one, audiobooks allow me to be productive during the meaningless time spent driving from point A to point B. I have always felt like driving to places is such a waste of time. I have always wished I could teleport places so that I could spend my time more efficiently. Since I have started listening to audiobooks I am very excited to get in the car and drive someplace. In fact, sometimes I can’t wait. Second, some stories are just ten times better listened to, especially if it is the right reader. Third, when I listen to a book that frees up my reading time to read something else. That means two books at once!
So this leads me to my post for top audiobooks (I have listened to thus far) and top audiobook readers.–
My Top Five Audiobook Readers!
If you find an audiobook read by one of these five people then trust me and buy it/check it out and listen to it!
- Allan Corduner – I first heard Mr. Corduner for The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Besides the fact that this book is amazingly written, it is also splendidly read!! Corduner is a master at the German accent and even German words. The minute I heard this book I had to pick up all other audiobooks read by him. I have been thoroughly enjoying Garth Nix’s Keys to the Kingdom series and will soon listen to Angie Sage’s Magyk series.
- Neil Gaiman – Oh my goodness! This man is perfect to listen to! I have listened to quite a few Neil Gaiman books read by Neil Gaiman and I can’t help wanting more. My favorite is definitely The Graveyard Book.
- Jim Dale – Yes, I would be remiss if I left off the talented Mr. Dale. I am currently listening to book five of the Harry Potter series and I have been very enthralled every book (although book/year two was my least favorite thus far). Jim Dale handles the multitude of characters very well and sometimes I am not sure how he keeps them all straight. Dale’s newest audiobook is The Emerald Atlas by John Stevens.
- Xanthe Elbrick – Xanthe Elbrick is amazing! I loved the book Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke and it was read just perfectly. Ms. Elbrick has not done many audiobooks but I am hoping that will change soon.
- Brendan Fraser – I love Brendan Fraser. When I found out he read for some audiobooks I could not help but find them immediately. I first listened to him read Cornelia Funke’s Dragon Rider and I was hooked by Fraser’s many voices!
My Top Audiobooks (so far)!
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Read by Allan Corduner
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman, Narrated by Pullman and Read by a cast!
- The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling, Read by Jim Dale
- Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke, Read by Xanthe Elbrick
- Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, Read by Brendan Fraser